In addition to your family obligations of volunteering at our yearly major fundraisers, families also must devote hours in other ways. There are many ways to volunteer at St. Joseph’s School. Here are just a few:
You can volunteer to:
- Assist with our yearly Book Fair in November.
- Health Screening: Screen height, weight, vision and hearing for one day at the beginning of the school year.
- Room Parent: For the party animal…plan classroom parties and activities as requested by the teacher.
- Library Aide: Assist librarian as needed.
- Field Trip Driver: Provide transportation during scheduled classroom trips.
- Office Assistant: Help in the office on an as-needed basis.
- Photo Day: Assist the office and photographer in assembling students for school photos.
- Art Smart: Be an Art Smart Teacher for this fun program teaching Art Appreciation.
- Accelerated Reader Assistant: Spend time in the classroom helping students take Accelerated Reader tests.
- Copying for Teachers: Pick a specific day or time convenient for you to copy class work.
- Telephone Calling: Call from the convenience of your own home for special events.
- Box Tops/Soup Labels: Help to “clip & count”- School earns great supplies through your efforts!
- Empty Bowls: Serve the community through this special gift to those in need each February.
- Rosaries: Make rosaries with the children during the month of May.
- Crosswalk Guard: Supervise children at crosswalk from 8:00–8:20 a.m.
- Playground Supervisor: Assist teacher with monitoring lunch recess 12:10–12:35p.m. (Please do not bring small children that require attention on the playground.)
- Gardening: Share your green thumb to help keep our school grounds looking great! Work parties organizing in even numbered months (April, June, August, October)
- Building Maintenance: Help to keep our facilities sparkling!
- Kitchen cleaning crews, summer painting, etc.
- Passport Club: Once a month help test 3rd-5th graders on Geography.
You will also find some fun and rewarding volunteer opportunities on activity sign-up sheets that appear throughout the year for our 3 major fundraisers: Harvest Fest, Have-A- Heart Auction, and May Fest. Additional volunteer opportunities are posted on the bulletin board behind the door in the school office. Your help is an answer to many prayers and is what makes this school the wonderful community of kids, parents, grandparents and our community of friends that it is. Do not be afraid to roll up your sleeves and jump in! New friends are waiting and by volunteering here at St. Joseph’s School your help makes big miracles happen everyday!
- Preschool 3 & 4 parents are required to provide a total of six hours per year working on school fundraisers (two hours to each Harvest Fest, Auction, and May Fest).
- Families with children in grades Kindergarten through fifth grade need a combined total of 36 hours of commitment time broken down as follows: 6 hours to Harvest Fest 10 hours to Have-A- Heart Auction 4 hours to May Fest 16 hours to other school activities.
Thank you for your support, time and caring! Volunteers that work with children are required to be and have a
background check with the Yakima Dioceses with in the past six years, watched the Virtus Entrusted to Our Care video within the last three years, fill out a volunteer application form and oath of confidentiality form through the Diocese.